E-learning has been growing in popularity in recent years due to the convenience and flexibility it offers. Some common e-learning trends from the past years have been the use of video content, gamification, and personalization. Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the shift towards online learning, as many schools and universities were forced to close their physical campuses. In this article we’d like to guide you through the trends of 2022 and the forthcoming trends in 2023.
Short overview of e-learning trends during 2022
In 2022 two trends continued to grow in the already big, developing world of e-learning: lifelong learning and personal development. One great way to support is through game-based learning.
Game-based learning, also known as gamification, grew in popularity in 2022 due its interactivity and engaging elements. Games are designed to be enjoyable and captivating, and incorporating elements of game design into educational content can make it more appealing to learners. Additionally, games often include a clear set of goals and rewards, which can help motivate learners to stay engaged and progress through the material.
Gamification can also provide learners with immediate feedback on their performance which in turn can further help them identify areas where they need to improve. By giving learners the chance to practice in a low-stakes environment, games can also help them build confidence and develop skills.
Games can provide a unique opportunity for learners to take an active role in their own education as well, giving them more control over the learning process leading to a deeper, better understanding of the material.
Some examples of game-based learning include educational video games, simulations and interactive quizzes. This trend is still very useful for creating content in 2023 to engage your viewers in a playful and very efficient way.
The rise of AI and AR
AI and AR really made an impact in 2022 and are continuing growing in 2023. Before we dive into the benefits of AI and AR for your content strategy in e-learning, let’s talk about what AI and AR entail.
AI (Artificial Intelligence) is a branch of computer science aiming at creating systems and machines that can perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, such as understanding natural language, recognizing images, and making decisions. AI can be divided into two main categories: narrow or weak AI, which is designed to perform a specific task, and general or strong AI, which has the ability to perform any intellectual task that a human can.
AR (Augmented Reality) is a technology that superimposes digital information, such as images, sounds and text onto the user's view of the real world. This can be done using a variety of devices, such as smartphones, tablets, and head-mounted displays. Unlike virtual reality (VR), which creates a completely immersive digital environment, AR enhances the user's existing environment by overlaying digital content on top of it.
AR can be used in a variety of applications such as entertainment, education, and marketing. It can also be used in manufacturing, maintenance and repair for remote assistance or training.
An example of AR is the game Pokémon GO popular a few years ago which used special AR features to make the pokémons appear in a real-world environment in front of the player.
AI and AR are often used together to create more advanced and interactive experiences. For example AI can be used to improve the accuracy of AR, such as understanding the user's intentions and context, while AR can be used to enhance the user's experience of AI, such as visualizing the output of an AI system.
Trends to watch out for 2023
- Personalization is another key trend to watch during 2023. Companies are realizing the importance of providing personalized learning experiences and they’re investing in technology to help make this happen. Personalization allows companies to tailor their e-learning courses to meet the individual needs of their learners.
- Blended learning: With the continuation of remote and hybrid learning blended learning is a great way to combine personalization, technology while maintaining the social aspect of your teaching.
- Virtual Reality: VR technology is becoming increasingly affordable and widespread. In VR, learners can experience simulations of real-world scenarios, making for a highly immersive learning experience. By the end of 2023 VR is expected to be widely used in e-learning courses.
- Augmented Reality: AR has been gaining traction in recent years and it’s expected to become even more popular this year. AR is similar to VR, but instead of being fully immersed in a virtual world learners see digital content overlaid in the real world around them. This allows for a more flexible and contextual learning experience. AR can be used to create engaging and immersive learning experiences, thus creating more interactive and personalized learning.
- Artificial Intelligence: Artificial intelligence (AI) is also expected to be a major player in the e-learning space in 2023. AI can help improve the learning experience by personalizing content and providing tailored feedback to students. AI-enabled technologies are providing new opportunities for learners to engage with content, interact with materials, and receive personalized instruction.
Additionally, AI is allowing educators to design and develop more effective learning experiences. AI-powered applications can analyze data and make recommendations for personalized instruction, provide real-time feedback and assessments, and even create adaptive learning experiences tailored to each learner.
- Gamification: Online games are extremely popular not only among teens and are constantly improved in the last state-of-art experience with clear picture, interactive elements, most recently in VR. Elements of games in e-learning have shown to be popular among students and will continue to be a hot trend this year.
- The most outstanding trend for 2023 when it comes to AI is the use of AI-generated avatars: instead of standing before the camera yourself, you can use an avatar to do the talking for you. Benefits of these trends are of course saving time and effort. The only downside is that there are only so many avatars available by current SaaS-companies. Fortunately, you can request getting an avatar made of yourself.
Tips on creating video courses following the trends for 2023
Looking at the trends of 2022 and 2023 you have perhaps noticed it still all comes down to the engagement of your audience. Whether it is via gamification, personalization, VR, AI or AR - gaining and keeping the attention of your audience is a major key. Here are some easy tips to try this year in order of getting the best out of the current trends.
- Add virtual elements to your video courses in a realistic environment. Instead of displaying a graphic on a solid background, try using a realistic setting instead. A good rule of thumb is the environment and interactive elements to be engaging, yet realistic.
- Try experimenting with adding an avatar to your videos to save some time and work more efficiently. Just google AI video generator and experiment!
- Add more playful elements to your videos in order to gamify your content. Instead of explaining certain matters, see and try if you can fit into a small game like a quiz, role-play, online escape room or a guessing game.
- Add virtual rewarding elements to your video course. Rewarding viewers in an e-learning course through a gamification strategy will enhance their engagement with your content.
- Try combining separate, independent modules for your courses with interactive, joint sessions for an ultimate blended learning experience. Why not a chat with all of the participants to discuss afterwards?
By the way, we recently launched our Live chat to help you easily navigate through your live stream and discuss with the viewers.
Kinescope is here to make sure your e-learning experience is as smooth as possible. You can benefit from livestreaming with analytics and live chat, a customizable player according to your preferences with the option to attach a document, add subtitles and chapters, and digital rights management (DRM) protection available to all your videos and folders.
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.